Professor of Preaching and Worship
I was born and reared in Detroit, Michigan. I am ordained in the Church of the Brethren (1987). After serving for three years as a hospital chaplain and nine as a pastor, I completed my doctoral work in Practical Theology at Princeton Theological Seminary in 2004 (focusing on Homiletics and Biblical Studies). I am now Professor of Preaching and Worship at Bethany and teach upper-level courses for the Association of Chicago Theological Seminaries DMin Program in Preaching. My spouse Mark and I have three teenage children. In addition to distance/outdoor swimming and quilting, I enjoy traveling and reading books with my family.
- Ph.D., Princeton Theological Seminary, 2004.
- Clinical Pastoral Education, Lehigh Valley Hospital Center, Allentown PA, 1987.
- M.Div., Princeton Theological Seminary, 1986.
- B.A. with honors, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1982.
- Graduate course work in Jewish philosophy and worship (one semester), Jewish Theological Seminary, New York, 1981.
- Preaching the Gospel of Mark: Proclaiming the Power of God, listed among the 2008 “BookMarks” of Christian Century (March 10, 2009) and among noteworthy books for 2008 in Preaching Magazine (March/April 2009).
- Fellow in Residence, Cathedral College of Preachers, National Cathedral, Washington D.C. (May-June 2006).
- Believing in Preaching included among “The Year’s Best Preaching Books” by Preaching Magazine (2005).
Courses Recently Taught:
- Intro. to Preaching, M120 (and hybrid/online version, M120H)
- Preaching and Public Discourse, M125
- Preaching Gospel(s), M325/B325
- Prophetic Voices in Preaching, M326
- M. Div. Review, F302 (capstone course in Min. Formation/Practical Theol.)
- Preaching the Reign of God: Voices of Jesus for the Church and World (forthcoming, Westminster John Knox Press).
- Preaching for God’s Transforming Justice: A Lectionary Commentary, co-edited with Ronald J. Allen and Dale P. Andrews. Three-volume lectionary commentary series (forthcoming, Westminster John Knox Press, 2011, 2012 and 2013).
- Preaching the Gospel of Mark: Proclaiming the Power of God (Westminster John Knox Press, 2008).
- Believing in Preaching: What Listeners Hear in Sermons, with Mary Alice Mulligan, Diane Turner-Sharazz and Ronald J. Allen (Chalice Press, 2004).
Websites of Interest:
- Academy of Homiletics - http://www.homiletics.org/ 
- Homiletics (journal of the Acad. of Hom.): http://www.homiletic.net 
- Societas Homiletica (the international assoc. of hom.): http://www.societas-homiletica.org/society/ 
For a complete listing of accomplishments, Curriculum Vitae (coming soon)